Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Back to Basics: A Flower List Update

Do you smoke cigarettes?




0% said Yes.

20% said No.

0% said Sometimes.

80% said Never have I or will I.

0% said I've tried them

0% said I've thought about it.

and...

I'm trying to quit.



We live in a world where the dangers of smoking are known- and they're loud and clear. There's surgeon general's warnings on all cigarette and tobacco products (just like the ones on alcoholic drinks), there's anti-smoking campaigns, and often - especially here in NY - you could be watching American Idol and while you're making yourself a sundae in between songs a commercial of a pair of pitch black lungs will pop on the screen and stare you down for a minute.



Me, I don't smoke. I don't see the appeal. I'm positive I've told you guys this before- I don't smoke or alcohol. It's just my belief. I don't freak when others smoke/drink in front of me. It's my body and I decide what goes in it.



And that's the thing. It's YOUR body. YOU decide. So is it right for me to criticize those who make a choice to do that onto themselves? My aunt's been a smoker forever, and it really gets to me. We're super close and I don't want to lose her. So every time she takes that pack of cancer sticks out of her purse, World War III may or may not ensue. But recently, I've been rethinking my standpoint.



A couple good friends of mine are close with this guy that started smoking weed recently. It wasn't a big deal to him, so he didn't really tell them explicitly that he had been doing it. He made a couple comments, but they thought he was joking. When they found out that he wasn't, my friends had mixed opinions. Most of them didn't really care too much. They didn't see him being effected by it (yet anyways, they said), and they said it was his choice- so why should they get crazy and intervene? A handful of them were pissed at first, but after a day or two didn't care too much either. But one of my friends, the one I'm closest with out of the bunch, was rabid. He was angry. I actually am not sure if I'm seen him angrier. For a good couple of weeks he completely dropped his best friend. Cold turkey, just like that.



When I heard about this half of me was like, "You go! You tell him! Stupid pothead, he's not worth your time" but then half of me was thinking, "What?! You're not friends? Just like that? A whole friendship done over a leaf? At least talk it out." And they did talk it out. There wasn't much to say, but now they're back on talking terms.


So it's been making me think... should I be able to tell people what to do? Not really. But then again, I've seen drugs destroy so many lives. Isn't it my responsibility to protect my friends, loved ones, and just anyone in general?! I just don't know.







Song stuck in my head today: "Sydney, I'll Come Running" by Brett Dennen



Keep on keepin' on,



Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment