Thursday, March 24, 2011

What's your name?

"It was the first time she had ever called me by my name. Of course she did this purposefully and knew that I should treasure it up."
~ Pip, Great Expectations
(Yup, I'm the loser that quotes Great Expectations the book I have to read for english.)

Names. My thoughts on names:
1.)First off, I notice the first time someone calls me "Maddie". Sometimes it'll freak people out, the new friend I made will greet my with a big "Maddie!!" and I'll stop and go, "You just called me Maddie for the first time!". Then I just get this stare, and a laugh. I guess I realize this because it shows that someone thinks they're close to me when they call me Maddie. When people who aren't close with my call my that it's just... creepy.
2.) I hate when people write one of my many nicknames as Maddi. Or Madi. I just don't like it. There's only two people who can spell it like that, my best friend and his mom. Other than that you will be corrected. Maddie, Maddy even Maddey if you really want to be creative!
3.) Isn't it weird that we don't pick our names? It's the only thing we come with into this life, and it's basically the only thing we have for the rest of it that is truly ours. But really not, because we had no say in it. I think your name is your first test. It's your first situation where the world has given you something and you just have to make do with it. Lots of times that happens in life and you just gotta suck it up and take what this crazy ride throws at you. I don't think you should go out and change your name. It's something you were given, something to live up to, it's like the skin on your bones and it should and will always be with you wheter you like it or not.
4.) Naming a baby is such a weird experience. What if you give your baby this extremely amazing name, like Athena or something. Something big, or something different and unique and it they don't live up to it. What if you have a boy and name them Drizzle and they end up being a fat plumber or something... I don't know! Haha I mean when you hear a name before seeing a person's face you just get this image in your head and some people just do not match up to their names.
5.) My friends always make fun of my because I love 'weird' baby names. Eh, yeah it's true I guess but I think these names are gorgeous: Gemma, Brooklyn, Meadow.......
6.) We've talked about this before but, I love it when you say my name. Love it. :)



Song stuck in my head today: IDK AMERICAN IDOLS ON GOTTA JET!
Keep on keepin' on,
Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment