Thursday, April 15, 2010

And I'd Like to Thank Miley Cyrus for My Latest Obsession...

I came across an interesting quote from Miley Cyrus in Newsday on April 11th. The statement came from when she was 'clarifying her musical crushes on MTV'. She says,

Bieber fever- I'm not necessarily a fan. I don't listen to that kind of music.
I like, like Kurt Cobain is my dream boyfriend.

I found this perplexing because I realize Miley Cyrus many times will dress like a rocker, which might make you think, 'So? I can see her liking Kurt Cobain' but if you listen to her music, it doesn't convey a rocker chick persona at all. So much so, when you think of pop sensation Justin Bieber's music, hip-hop/pop tunes, some other teen singers come to mind such as, Miranda Cosgrove, Selena Gomez, and Miley Cyrus. If she keeps saying she loves music by Joan Jett, and many other iconic rock figures, wouldn't it make sense that she made rock music too? I can understand if she's afraid of loosing her great tween/teen demographic, that is shelling out money left and right for her sold out in a second concerts, but what ever happened to the music itself? When did her true musical goals get muddled up in teen-bopper T.V. shows and collabortaion fashion lines at Walmart? If I was an artist of her magnitude, I'd do what I want to do, not because 'my audience' would buy more if I cut down on this, or tweaked that, or wore a certain type of clothing. But, I don't know Miley Cyrus personally. So I can't judge. But if I had to, those are my feelings.


Anyways, back to how this relates to my newest obsession. When I read the name, Kurt Cobain it was so familiar but I couldn't think of what band he was in! So yesterday, I was showing my friends this great service I had been told about on my phone. You text 266266 and you can get local weather, movie times, horoscopes, gas prices, and you can search things on Wikipedia. When my friends and I were playing around with it, I remembered the quote and texted 'Kurt Cobain' to 266266. It gives you all that Wikipedia has on it's website, in the form of many, many texts (you text them 'more' to get more from Wiki). If you've ever used Wikipedia for a school report or anything, you've probably seen how extensive their articles are. But, even so I read almost all of it. I fell asleep reading about how Cobain's uncle offered him a bike or a guitar for his 14th birthday (of course he picked the latter of the two), but when I woke up to send 'more' to continue reading, it gave me Wiki search results for 'more'. That's the only bad thing, you have to text them back within a certain time frame, and make sure you just say, 'more'! So, for those of you still wondering who Kurt Cobain is (since I became an expert overnight!), Cobain was the lead vocals/guitar in the band Nirvana. The band was big in the early to mid 1990s, and was often considered the "flagship band for Generation X". Nirvana popularized grunge music in the mainstream.


After I couldn't search more on Cobain, I decided to search things that peaked an interest while reading about Cobain. I have now become a mini expert on Jainism, Riot Grrrl, and Generation X. Even if your not a curious information sponge like myself, I think it's so cool that I can know use this on my phone! My best friend who showed it to me reassured me that it is indeed a free service. So what are you waiting for? If it works on your phone go ahead and text 266266 for all your random information cravings. :)




Still working on being able to do a split, but I think I'm still stiff as a board!


Song stuck in my head today: "It Won't Be Long" by Evan Rachel Wood (cover from my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie, Across the Universe, go check it out!!)


Keep on keepin' on,


Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment