Monday, April 26, 2010

Career of Choice: People Watcher

I have a thing for people. As weird as that sounds. I just have found it interesting the past year and a half to sit, listen and watch. Observing your surroundings and people with you can teach you so much about those individuals in particular or just humans in general.

My friend and I always joke around that we should be people watchers. We'll burst out in laughter constantly noticing little things people do. I mean come on, people are just way too interesting! There's always a different story. You might hear some repeats but they all come with a twist. Everyone has opinions, dreams and experiences they want to share but just might want to share them when they get an opportunity to; rather than just randomly start sharing their life story. I like giving people that opportunity. Maybe that's just the writer coming out in me. I still don't know what I want to do with my life, but I know writing what you know is the best. And I am constantly seeing things that I could put to paper, throwing in crafty metaphors and imagery.

I also think 'people watching' has turned me into the equal rights person I am. I mean, you may think you know someone but until you really study them, or give them the opportunity to really express themselves you can't judge. And, even with studying people you can get some things wrong! Trust me, it's happened.

I guess, depending on what it is. People can fascinate me very easily. Today I had an orchestra class, but my teacher wasn't there. So the substitute we had let us have a free period because he was 'handicapped musically'. Some people did homework, most talked and some people practiced their instruments for the upcoming onslaught of NYSSMA thingys. What do you call it, an appointment? A judging? Well I sat and talked for a bit, attempted to do homework but I was without a textbook and then I started hearing this great tune from the piano. This girl I'm friendly with and went to the same elementary school with, was playing the piano from the beginning of the period. She was really good and she was playing familiar songs. I don't know the titles of any, but they were classical and I bet you'd know them too. But then she started playing something else. It sounded like it'd fit great in a contemporary pop album but yet I didn't know the song. I walked over and she was singing too; something about how it would work out if 'we pulled it together' and I didn't recognize it at all! I thought, 'Wow she must've written it herself then!'. But as I heard more verses I shook my head, knowing that was too good to be true.

Turns out, she did. She wrote the lyrics and composed all the music by herself. And she had four full songs. I mean full. Everything flowed seamlessly, there were no choppy parts where you could tell she still hadn't figured the right notes out and she sounded pretty damn good.

I don't know about you, but even though I have musical talent I doubt I could do what she was doing. I mean, it took her two days to accomplish some of these songs, and some only two hours since she really concentrated! I've tried writing songs - long before I had my own piano, regardless - and I don't think I ever could've come up with what she did. I mean, I always got some good stuff down but after that I was at a lack of ideas. Everything always seemed so repetitive after that. Everyone - well everyone who was smart enough to listen it! - loved her songs. I was blown away. So, I basically started interviewing the girl! I was really intrigued and I needed some answers to the millions of questions about her thought process that were dancing in my head. She told me first she gets a simple tune going, then she adds the lyrics. After that, she trys her best to transfer the tune to the piano. She has all the songs written down and she wrote them without any help, even though she showed the songs to her piano teacher who she was expecting criticism from and her teacher loved them the way they were.

I guess I like interviewing people. But not people who are famous already. Because you hear those stories all the time. I'd be the kind of reporter just interviewing people on the street. But, I don't think there's a very big field for that. So, it's just facing another road bump in my career options. Like I haven't faced enough already!



Live with your eyes wide open
(Here's a picture of my eye world!)
As for Glee, I can't wait to watch tonight! I don't know the full line-up of songs or who sings them, but I do know of a few we'll be hearing...
"A House is Not a Home"
"Fire"
"Beautiful"
"One Less Bell to Answer/A House is Not a Home"
Remember to read tomorrow all you gleeks. Thanks for the poll votes and the one comment, (Sam!). (:

Song stuck in my head today: "A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend

Keep on keepin' on,

Madison

5 comments:

  1. even though you might not be as musically and lyrically talented as her, you are truly an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madison , I adore your writing.
    It's really good.You should definitely have a career in this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't people watching the best? I love hearing little snippets of conversations as people walk by- it's great to try and create the rest of the story on your own! And speaking of stories, you need to keep writing yours. You are a great writer: insightful, thoughtful, naturally talented. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, it's great! Thank you very much. :)

    ReplyDelete