Friday, October 1, 2010

Stuck In The Middle.

My town has a lot of people in it. So we have two high schools- one for the north, and one for the south. Simple, yes? Eh, maybe. You see, these two sides of the town for two very short years, come together to go to middle school. This gives us the amazing opportunity to meet new friends and people, but also teaches us how to go our seperate ways, which is good to learn, but hard to go through. I live in the center. Not north, nor south. Just the middle. There's a middle of everything and that's where I live! People always say "No, no, no, you're either north or south you can't be middle! There's no middle!." But there is, and I'm stuck in it. North and south are very different, there's obviously a line drawn between them since everyone's convinced I don't like in the middle. But they mesh together fine because like all humans, they're the same in many ways. But since I live in the middle, I have to be zoned for one school district, and one only. Since the middle's so tiny, I'm either in the north or south. Unfortunately (to a certain degree), I'm zoned for south.

Not that the south is horrible, it just has a bunch of annoying qualities that I won't go into detail of. But the thing is, I'm a BLOCK away from the cut off line for north school zoning, and every since I was little I wanted to go to the north's high school. My dad went there, my cousins and aunts went there, I just think it'd be so cool to be walking down the same halls they did- plus I have a lot of friends who are going there. Since I'm a block away from the north school's it's a hassle to go down south for school, why should I drive for seven minutes when I can walk there in five?! Well anyways, during my middle school years I was given a chance to go to school with my north friends and I've always dreaded leaving them this year for high school. Well, as you know, I did. And it didn't feel much different.

Until this week.
On Wednesday we had a soccer game at there school (yes, our rivals, big whoop) and I saw all my friends from middle school, and all these familair faces, and stepping on their field looking up at their school felt like one big slap in the face. I swear, I nearly cried. Actually seeing the people I'm no longer with, at their school (what I've always considered my school) made me want to crumple up my soccer jersey and play for the other team. You never realize how much you wanted something, or missed someone until you physical see them or something that reminds you of them, or hear their voice. I've thought about all my good memories with my friends in middle school, and have talked to them online, but nothing gets me more sad than walking down to their school and seeing them all there smiling without me!

I like my high school, but I'm wondering now how things would be better or worse if I went to the school I've always wanted to go to.
Song stuck in my head today: "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin
Keep on keepin' on,

Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment