Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Glee Review #5: Laryngitis (Season 2, Episode 5)

This has to have been one of my favorite episodes in this season so far. The music was awesome, the lines funny but not too laugh out loud and the conflicts interesting.

*SPOILER ALERT* Gosh people go watch at hulu.com!!! ;)

So, music! The lack of glee club performances (excusing "One") were greatly made up in tons of solos. We finally got to hear some character's voices hit those high notes loud! Kurt's "Rose's Turn" was amazing and Mercedes and Santana's "That Boy is Mine" was funny and sassy. Seeing Cory Monteith (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!) as Finn rock out to "Jesse's Girl" made every young girl wish he was singing to her and "The Lady is a Tramp" showed us a whole 'nother side of tough boy Puck.

Drama was basically low-key. The episode zeroed in on Puck and Mercedes' developing 'romance' and how it was effecting their lives and their relationships with Puck's other 'girls'; and Rachel dealing with the possibility of her singing career being ruined do to tonsillitis. While I'm still leery about Puck and Mercedes' relationship I thought it made for some great songs and Mercedes' conversation with Quinn was adorable and funny. Rachel losing her voice wasn't as big of a deal as they made it do be in the commercials, which I was happy about. It was good to see the whole episode not just about her.

Also, before I move on... in last night's latest installment Kurt the well-known gay member of the glee club questioned his sexuality when Cheerios' coach Sue Sylvester stated that he didn't know what he was because he's never kissed a guy or girl before, so who is he to label himself? This - and the fact his dad has been spending all his time with the athletic Finn - lead him to get in touch with his 'masculine side'. He began wearing flannel, hats, and jeans which were a far cry from the high fashion stylings of our beloved Kurt. And, a step further, he made out with ditsy cheerio, Brittany to find out who he really was.

My questions from "Laryngitis"...
1.) Will we ever hear Quinn sing again?!
It seems we haven't head the ex-head cheerleader have the spotlight since "I Say a Little Prayer". Now that we've heard more people in this episode like Santana, I say we deserve a song from Quinn! My friend today told me that while see was watching the episode she was thinking about the songs that other characters would've picked for this week's assignment. She envisioned the expecting Quinn singing "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" from the famous musical, Grease. I think this song fit Quinn's current life perfectly. (Well maybe last season could've been better) But for the assignment, it seemed dynamite.
2.) Are Kurt and Brittany an item now?
Even though it seemed like their make out session had a rocky ending, we saw Kurt and Brittany holding hands in the hallway when his dad comes in to pick up Finn for hoagies. After this, Kurt sings "Rose's Turn" expressing his frustration dealing with his troubles of being gay and his dad dating Finn's mother. So now - we hope - that Kurt realized he doesn't need to compromise who he is for anyone will he keep it up with Brittany, or just let it go seeing as she only saw it as an opening to keep her record gold.
3.) Will we see Rachel giving singing lessons to Finn's friend again?
Finn brings Rachel to meet his friend from camp who has become paralyzed do to a bad football injury, to make Rachel realize that singing isn't her whole life. Rachel is moved by meeting him and hearing that he has an interest in singing, comes back to ask him if he'd like her to teach him. He agrees and they start their first lesson by singing "One". Things seem to be going well, but knowing how things turn out when Rachel is introduced to someone.... I don't want it to turn out too well. She's got enough on her plate already and seeing this new friend of Finn's is great in future episodes but I don't want him to be yet another victimized love interest.

Next week's episode looks good as always with Neil Patrick Harris guest starring as Brian Brian, Will's high school rival. The songs for the episode are:
"Dream a Little Dream of Me" - Artie
"The Safety Dance"- All of the glee club
"Dream On" - Will and Brian
"I Dreamed a Dream" - Rachel

I messed up on some from my latest post but I hope these are more accurate! Thanks to Sam and Brianna for the help. Hope you all watch and read next week and as always, here's your quotes!!
"Seriously, they feel like a baby. Now I know what it’s like to date a baby." - Brittany
"I’m a sex shark; if I stop moving, I die." - Puck
"Okay, I am going to ask you to stop because I'm starting to get embarrassed for you." - Mercedes
"So you like show tunes. It doesn’t mean you’re gay; it just means you’re awful." - Sue
"Get ready, black girl from glee whose name I can't remember right now: The Puckster is about to make you his." - Puck
"Usually dip. Sometimes it tastes like burgers. Or my armpits. Kissing my armpits is a really big turn-on for me." - Brittany
"Nobody quits the Cheerios! You either die or I kick you off." - Sue
"There are so many lyrics." - Brittany


The Glee cast performing "One"


Thanks for reading, I'm on crunch time here so I can't add much but keep coming back for more!
Song stuck in my head today: "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes" by Paul Simon

Keep on keepin' on,

Madison

4 comments:

  1. heyy! your friend has an awesome idea about Quinn singing "There Are Worse Things I Could Do." It really fits her life right now. Brillant! I wish i thought of it!

    oh wait, i did = ]


    ~ yours truly, Brianna ♥ love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ya Bri! That girl (well you) really isn't that dumb after all

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh madds u spell bryan with A Y!!! HAHHAAA jk its cool ily!

    ReplyDelete