Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rodger and Hammerstein's Cinderella (JR.!): A Review

As I promised my cousin, here is a review of her play that she performed with the rest of her drama club at school. I hope her friends and family who came to support the production, and those who were a part of it get to see this!

Coming late to the show, and just making it to very the very opening scene I didn't get to read much of the 'Showbill' or hear a brief speech from the director. But I did notice right away the big crowd! I've been to all of my cousin's productions while in this drama club, which include Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, 10 by 10, Myth Adventures, and Pirates of Penzance but never have I seen them generate a crowd of this magnitude. Okay, I might be exaggerating but compared to their other shows I was starting to feel claustrophobic! I was really happy about this because just coming to the previous shows, I sensed a bit of lack of love for the arts radiating from the school and to see the crowd which they deserved a while ago was great.

The first scene was "A Public Square". I thought it was a great beginning I can assure you everyone had the tune of "The Prince is Giving a Ball" stuck in their heads for the remainder of the night! Aidan McGlone (no relation!) was a great Herald. She was the source of all the energetic bursts of laughter and I always look forward to seeing her in the shows! The only thing I would've changed were the towns people's costumes. Each had towns person had on a dress, which I thought fit the role; they had no common theme necessarily but I didn't find that needed. I did think though that they should all be on the same level of 'dressiness'. Some girls had on a tunic and leggings- which I thought looked awkward, and some girls looked out of place wearing a sundress next to someone in more of a party outfit. There just needed to be some common ground. The vocals were mostly good but I thought some of the solo singers (was it towards the end of this scene??) were a bit weak. Not even in the notes sometimes, just in projecting their voices. The ones who needed work though did seem to be fresh faces so kudos to them on their brave new accomplishment!

"The Step family's House" was a great introduction to Cinderella and her family. I liked the song "In My Own Little Corner", I thought Gabriella Daly was a wonderful Cinderella but in other shows I've seen her in I thought she was a bit stronger. I felt her songs lacked some of the talent I saw in the past, but I still enjoyed them very much!

I loved the costumes worn by the Queen and King in "The Royal Parlor". They worked perfectly! I thought the small dance scene could've been better but besides that everyone was great at their parts. In the last scene before intermission, "The Step family's House" I loved how the step-sisters changed dresses. I was hoping they would because if they kept the same costumes throughout the show it would'nt of showcased the importance of the ball. I liked the 'more urban' fairy godmother, but seeing the typical wings and wands would've been nice too. I thought the transformation of the pumpkin into carriage was great with the lighting and subtle whimsical dance moves, but maybe the townspeople could've worn ears or tails to show that they turned into horses because I think some of the crowd's reactions were delayed.

"The Palace Garden" was also another good scene. I loved how Cinderella's gown was identical to the periwinkle original we're all accustomed to. I really enjoyed everything about this part of the play, but I thought "Ten Minutes Ago" could've been stronger, though it definitely go the crowd swooning. "Step-sister's Lament" was one of my favorite songs! I thought all the sister's vocals were good and it caused lots of laughs and smiles. "The Stepfamilys House" was an adorable scene. I don't think they could've performed it any better. Seeing the step-family and Cinderella all together at the ending pose of the song was so magical! I also thought the times when the Herald was trying on towns people's shoes was hilarious. "The Palace Garden" was a very sweet ending, and everyone was happy with its conclusion.

This classic tale of a mistreated step-sister whose wildest dreams came true with one wish of a wand really show us all how the possibilities are endless; and always quite possible indeed.


The trying on of Cinderella's glass slipper


I would like to say thanks to the amazing drama club that always keeps my love for theater going! Looking forward to next year, know that I'll always be a fan!

Song stuck in my head today: "Pieces" by The Bridges

Keep on keepin' on,

Madison

3 comments:

  1. thanks for all of the commentary..btw it's not called greek myths it's called myth adventures but that's the samething!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, I'll change it! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete