Sunday, November 21, 2010

World of Jenks and The Buried life MASSIVE review!

Ready for an intense World of Jenks and The Buried Life review covering three episodes? YES. Alright, let's go!

In this episode, titled "Me and My Surfboard", Andrew rooms with pro surfer Anastasia and learns not only the basics of surfing, but the pressures it brings and what keeps Anastasia going. I've always wanted to surf so bad so on an instructional perspective this was very eye-opening! Otherwise it was another satisfactory episode that only really revealed the vulnerable side of Anastasia that no one got to see. I would have to say the high point of the episode is this picture right here! ;D While I love all of Jenks' work this one wasn't my favorite but I still enjoyed it!

Dares are always interesting, but it's always hard for me to come up with good ones. So major props to the girl who dared The Buried Life team to steal a lock of RPatz's hair! This dare was completely insane, I was laughing and on my edge the whole time. In the end the guys were successful in getting one single strand of Twilight Saga 's lead actor Robert Pattinson's hair. If this show doesn't show you that anything is possible, I don't know what will! While 3/4 of the guys search for 'Edward's' lovely locks, Ben heads to Minnesota to meet Lexi, a young woman whose goal is to create a forum for people to discuss the pitfalls of depression - something she and Ben have both suffered from. Not only did Ben help create a safe haven where Lexi and others can share their feelings but he helped her achieve a huge scholarship to the college she's been trying to get into for a while.

In "Hail Mary" Jenks spent a week with Jessi, a former contestant that made it big on So You Think You Can Dance who is now a Tennesse Titan's cheerleader, trying out again for her homestate's team. Me, well just being me! I've always had this really judgemental preconception of all cheerleaders, wheter cheering on the field of some small town high school or at the big leagues. Not to say that Jenks shattered my whole view of cheerleading as a sport, but he definitely showed me that the glitter didn't mark their whole life. It also showed how much heart and soul the girls put into their career/passion/sport; and that there truly is a dark side to all the glitz and glam we see in Hollywood, and that it's hard to stay focused on your dream once you're so close.




There's many shows on TV that showcase a person alone in the wilderness surviving on the smallest amount of commodities. Many people doubt the truth in Man Vs. Wild for example, and some may say that what The Buried Life did with this episode is staged also, but it seems to me like the guys truly did escape off a deserted island. Jonnie being sick and Duncan killing a bird was real enough for me. This was one of their most life risking and specific items to cross off, but after finding a fishing boat miles off the island's coast the TBL boys left the island save, sound, and sunburned. This episode really showed how primitive we are when stripped of everything. So many people would think of killing a bird with a rock 'barbaric' but when placed in a situation like this, there's no telling what could happen and how you'll react!
Before watching this episode of World of Jenks I was vaguely familiar with V.V. Brown. I knew of her song "Shark In The Water" after it was used in a commercial for the TV show Degrassi but besides that I knew not much else about this British songstress. While documenting their time together Andrew really showed just how hard it is to make it in America as an up in coming artist. V.V.'s whole life was dedicated to promoting herself and her music. She only had a couple days off and year and had to leave all her family back home in England. She knows she could fail and she could never make it in America, but it's a chance she's willing to take. I really liked this episode, I never knew how much effort goes into something like this and I hope V.V.'s dream comes true!!

In this episode Dave takes a try at a MMA professional fighter. I really liked this episode because it shows how Dave really progressed in only
a minimal amount of training after deciding to go through with this list item. In the end after breaking his thumb in the fight, Dave technically lost but not being bias or anything he totally won! He was on top of that guy from the start. In this episode Duncan also helps a girl who wants to talk a motorcycle ride along the coast and spread her dad's ashes on the beach. This was something he had always wanted to do with her but never got the chance. I thought it was a very sweet thing but I didn't understand why The Buried Life guys needed to help her. Was it because she needed motorcycles? Not to say it's bad to document the experience just because it was so nice but I thought they're supposed to help people achieve their dreams and this one seemed pretty solid.
THANKS FOR READING! I KNOW I HAVE 5 MORE EPISODE TO REVIEW (YIKES!) I'M SOOOOO SORRY, THIS IS WHAT A COMPUTER VIRUS AND WINTER TRACK DOES TO YOU!
Song stuck in my head today: "Cousins" by Vampire Weekend
Keep on keepin' on,
Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment